What do you think about "white privilege”?



I think “white privilege” is an excuse to be racist against white people.
Last year I applied for a promotion. I passed all the tests with nearly perfect scores, completed the classroom training with nearly perfect scores, and was moved into my new position for the probationary period. My supervisor was a black woman. With the exception of a couple of white female supervisors, I was the only white male in the whole office. My performance throughout the probationary period was outstanding, no complaints.
During the last week of my probationary period, my supervisor recommended me be demoted back to my previous position because I didn’t “fit in” with the “culture” there. I never had any issues with anyone there. I made quite a few friends. I showed up on time every day, did my work, and left along with everyone else. The only issue here was my supervisor had some “unspoken” problem with me being there.
At the end of that week, I was demoted back to my previous position. A few months later, I reapplied for the position hoping to get a different supervisor. Once again, I passed all the tests with even better nearly perfect scores. I was invited to the interview. Because of my previous demotion, not only was I rejected for the position, but banned from being able to apply again for 2 years. The ban for me ends at the end of November this year.
I went to the union and they told me it was an HR issue. I went to the Human Relations Commission to file a complaint of discrimination based on me being white. They told me because I wasn’t a member of a “protected class” there was nothing they could do for me. The law says that because I’m white, I can be discriminated against. I can be excluded from non-white groups. My career can be undermined. I am not afforded all the luxuries of special treatment that non-whites get. And I have to suck it up.
“White privilege” my ass.
Edit: 6.5k upvotes! Thank you very much!
I wanted to share this because every time someone slings around the phrase “white privilege” I have to call BS. It’s an excuse to tear some people down in order to raise other people up. That concept in itself is racist, no matter what color someone is. It isn’t just non-whites who suffer from discrimination and racism. Each one of us is responsible for our own actions. Each one of us is responsible for our own lives. I am a grown up. No one gives me anything. I make my own way in life. If I don’t find what I need to move forward in one place, I move on to another place until I find what I need. That’s exactly what I’m doing. No other person is responsible for holding us back. We hold ourselves back. If we want to move forward, we have to change the way we think, and accept responsibility for ourselves.
These are the kind of conversations we need to have in order to move forward together in society. There’s no such thing as an African American, a Mexican American, an Indian American, an Asian American, etc. We are all just plain Americans. The sooner we stop dividing ourselves, and letting people categorize us by our looks, by our race, by our gender, by our culture, the sooner we can all move forward as a united people.
Edit 2: 7.4k upvotes! Thank you again!
There have been a lot of great responses here, some giving advice, some pointing out flaws in my perspective, and I appreciate your responses whether you agree or disagree with me, or even partly. But most of all, I am glad that a bad experience can open up meaningful conversation and self-reflection. Thank you all for your support and criticisms.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Mystery of Rh-Negative Blood Genetic Origin Unknown

Awareness of EBE Contact

American Airlines Flight 77 Evidence