red cup outrage

I tried a little experiment this morning. Upon hearing about the "red cup outrage" I decided to see how it really affected me as a Christian. I took a few deep breaths, straightened myself up and walked boldly into my local Starbucks. I ordered myself a peppermint hot chocolate, which I thought might be a little heavy-handed to start with, because after all, peppermints are typically red and white. But I felt if I was going to do this, I needed to go all out. After paying my money and receiving my beverage, I noted that it was neither too hot nor too cold. It was, in fact, the perfect temperature. Well played, Starbucks. Maybe it's all part of your plot to get me to abandon my faith. As I climbed back into my car, I cranked the engine and turned on some Christian radio, just in case. I wanted to make sure that if I was going to the Darkside, I'd have something to pull me back to the light. Tentatively, I put the cup to my lips. Here it was, the moment of truth. I took the first delicious sip and felt the burst of warmth and flavor fill me with happiness. I stopped, so far so good. No sudden urges to run out ripping down nativity displays. Better take a couple more sips to make sure. I've listened to Casting Crowns saying "Slow Fade" enough times to know it's never that quick! I continued, careful to keep my guard up. With each delicious sip of holiday flavor, I found myself envisioning a warm Christmas morning with my family, the midnight Christmas eve service singing high the praises of our Savior, and our annual donut delivery to the healthcare workers, police, and firefighters working on Christmas Eve. As I drained my cup, the final verse of Matt Maher's "Lord, I Need You" rang out through my vehicle. I realized that every word of that beautiful song still rang true. Even after drinking the entire contents of that red cup, I still love Jesus! Then it hit me: Maybe Christmas, I thought, isn't about what's on a cup. Maybe Christmas, perhaps, is about lifting the name of Christ up. Christians, let's get over the Red Cup Rage and share the love of Christ in this season and always. "In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven." -Matthew 5:16 "Good sense makes one slow to anger, and it is his glory to overlook an offense." -Proverbs 19:11

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Mystery of Rh-Negative Blood Genetic Origin Unknown

Awareness of EBE Contact

American Airlines Flight 77 Evidence